This sight visit was kind of creepy! The Paris Catacombs began as a rock quarry in the Middle Ages. Around 1785 it was transformed into a burial place for bones from several Paris cemetaries had to be moved for various reasons. There are approximately 60 million skeletons interred there. Its very interesting. The entrance to the catacombs is at Denfert Rochereau where this guy lives:
I thought he was cute!
We were in the tunnels leading to the area containing the bones. I was nervous and giggly because I was worried about being scared. Kinda like the anticipation of a haunted house at Halloween. That never went well for me...
Kelly being goofy! I kept thinking there would be skeletons behind these gates but they were only there to keep us on the correct path through the catacombs.
The cool scenes below were carved into the stone in some of the more open areas. Very pretty!
And we finally get to the bones...
Can you see how the sculls form a heart shape above?
Scull and cross bones.
There were many quotes about death scattered throughout.
Well - that's all the creepiness we were able to capture since my camera battery died about halfway through the catacombs. But you get the idea anyway. There was just more and more and more of the same after this. Tons of bones. Hope you enjoyed our adventure!
5 comments:
OMG - this was on my YES YES list!! I bet ur camera died cuz of all the ghosts down there. LOL. Did you ever get scared?
I was a little nervous and scared while we were walking through the tunnels on the way to the area where the bones are located. But once I'd seen bones, bones and more bones, I wasn't nervous or scared anymore. We should go through it while you're here!
If you both want to, I guess I'm game. I get to bring my own bones back out with me, don't I??
You sure can Mum! Its not that spooky, mostly I was a little claustrophobic. It only takes about an hour to go through. And it is in an area that we could work into a shopping day if you'd like.
how awesome-love the designs on the rocks! crazy scary at the end-I would've freaked out too! lol.
Post a Comment